Pineapple and Coconut Sweet Empanadas,
Costa Rica is one country that for sure like their sweet empanadas to be bake and not fry. This country is home to very good quality of Chocolate, Coffee and home of the Aguardiente. Favorite Empanada, is the Chiverre Empanada, which is a type of white squash, similar to a pumpkin; but with white flesh; commonly prepared during Easter Time, to indulge in a sweet after the Lent time, a time when the Catholic Faith abstain from sweets.
3 Cups all-purpose Flour
2 Tbsp. Granulated Sugar
½ tsp Salt
8 oz. unsalted butter, cold in cubes
2 large egg yolks, lightly beaten
4 to 6 Tbsp. of aguardiente (spirits) you could use vodka
1 Cup Milk
1/4 Cup of Sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1 lime, zest
1 Tbsp. cornstarch
2 Egg Yolks
2 Cups Coconut, shredded, unsweetened, toasted
1 Cup Pineapple, small diced and caramelized and flambé with aguardiente.
1. To Prepare Dough follow Flaky Dough Method.
2. Steep Milk with sugar, vanilla and Lime Zest. Sift with a mesh colander, and return to casserole.
3. Mix together egg yolk and cornstarch.
4. Incorporate this mixture into the simmering milk, using the tempering technique. Stir until thick and incorporate the other two ingredients.
5. Cool before using in recipe.