Homemade Flour Tortillas
|Homemade Flour Tortillas|
5 Cups All Purpose Flour
1/2 tsp Salt
1/2 tsp Baking Powder
1/2 Cup Lard
12 oz warm water
- In a mixer bowl combine dry ingredients. mix them well.
- Incorporate the lard, then mix the lard and flour mixture, cut the lard into the flour until it looks mealy.
- Fit your mixer with the hook attachment, start adding the water little by little, just like bread it might not take all the water or it might need more, when dough is formed transfer to a floured surface and knead for about 12 minutes.It will get hard, cover and then let the dough relax for maybe 5 minutes, come back and keep kneading until you complete the 12 minutes. (if you are stronger or have a better machine you might only need 5 minutes)
- With a dough cutter, divide dough in 12 equal pieces. Round each piece, like you do for rolls.
- Cover them with a kitchen cloth and let them benching on the counter.
- Using a TORTILLA PRESS, flatten each ball of dough and maintain cover while doing the others.
- Grab the first flatten ball and place on your lightly, very lightly floured surface.Using the technique to round a pie in a circle, which is roll and move your circle 1/4 to the side and roll again. Do this a few times on each circle to enlarge it.
- Cover and set aside. Repeat technique maybe 3 more times, we do it little by little to allow the dough to relax and in that way it lets you, rolled it easier.The final product will have about 12 inch diameter.
- Heat a flat pan and grease lightly, quickly place each tortilla but don't let the tortilla sit in the hot pan, cover your hand with a mitten and spin the tortilla in the hot pan and pat it down where the bubbles try to form, When it change the color from raw to cook, flip it a do the same thing on the other side, when ready bring it out of the fire.
- Keep them in a plastic bag.
- When ready to use them, just heat them up and fill them up with your favorites, to make burritos or quesadillas. If you want tacos just make more round balls at the beginning and flatten them, the same way until your desire size.
|Quesadillas with Pork Chile Verde|
|Pork Chile Verde Burrito|